What is a California Adult Adoption?
- Inheritance. This is the most common reason for adult adoption, which creates a parent-child relationship that will be legally recognized so that the adopted person can inherit from the adoptive parent(s).
- Formalizing a parent-child relationship. When a previous stepparent-stepchild, foster parent-foster child, or informal parent-child relationship existed, the adult parties may want to formalize the relationship through adoption.
- Perpetual Care. If the person to be adopted is of diminished capacity or abilities, adoption may provide a means of assuring him/her of lifetime care under family insurance, as a legal family member, or through inheritance.
- Neither the consent of the natural parent or parents of the person to be adopted is required.
- A Social Services investigation is typically not required.
- The person being adopted may elect to change his or her name through the adoption proceeding or may elect to keep his or her existing name.
- Spousal consent is required if a party is married.
A person may not adopt more than one unrelated adult within one year of the person’s adoption of an unrelated adult, unless the proposed adoptee (the person being adopted) is a biological sibling of a person previously adopted or unless the proposed adoptee is disabled or physically handicapped. In addition, a person may not adopt an unrelated adult within one year of an adoption of another person by the prospective adoptive parent’s spouse unless the proposed adoptee is a biological sibling of a person previously adopted.
Get help with your California Adult Adoption today!
A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your adult adoption documents instead of an expensive attorney!
|Adoption Services We Offer||Price|
|Uncontested Stepparent Adoption – one child||$399|
|Stepparent Adoption with Petition to Terminate Parental Rights||$649|
|California Adult Adoption||$399|
|Other Adoption Services||Call for Quote|
Adoption Services We Offer
- Uncontested Stepparent Adoption (One child) – $399
- Stepparent Adoption with Petition to Terminate Parental Rights – $649
- Adult Adoption – $399
- Independent Adoption – $650
- Other Adoption Services – Call for quote